Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Lovely Music of Phoenix Wright

By Kirk Hamilton

Oh, Phoenix. Your games have some of my favorite music ever. Over the past few years, I've played through all three of the original Phoenix Wright games - Ace Attorney, And Justice for All, and Trials and Tribulations.  I totally fell in love with the characters, the jokes, the objection!s, the mysteries, and above all, Masakazu Sugimori's incredible music.

I've written several posts on my own blog about my admiration for both Phoenix Wright the game and Phoenix Wright the man, but I haven't ever written about the games' music. Last week, I saw Harry Milonas's great post at RedKingsDream about "Suspense," the iconic tune that plays whenever a plot twist (or, in the game's parlance, a "Turnabout") occurs.

It made me remember how much I love the music of Phoenix Wright, in particular "Maya Fey's Theme," a.k.a. "Turnabout Sisters," a.k.a. that super triumphant song that plays during the happiest moments of the first game.

I had an afternoon free, so I broke out my instruments (specifically flute, clarinet, guitars, whistling, percussion/handclaps, keyboards, mallets, and a couple sampled instruments), sat down with Pro Tools, and recorded my own version. It was really fun. When I finished recording, I figured I'd make a video combining the music with some screenshots from the game and fan art from around the internet. It actually came together into a pretty victorious, appropriately enthusiastic (and cheesy) tribute to Phoenix, The Feys, Miles, and the rest of the lovable cast of the Ace Attorney games.

I hope you enjoy it! If you'd like, you can download an MP3 of the recording here. And man, after spending a few hours going through pictures of Feenie and the gang, I really do hope I get to see them again soon.

5 comments:

jojo said...

Great music! Really enjoy your posts, Kirk!

Q^2 said...

OMG, this is so AWESOME!! :D :D :D You are right. I cannot wait for the next one!!! Q^2

Tim Mackie said...

I've wanted to do something like this for a while now... I need to learn how to play more instruments.

Kirk Hamilton said...

Thanks, guys! This was kinda way too much fun. I think I'm gonna have to do some more for other games.

Tim - if you ever do make a recording like this, I'd love to hear it! Doesn't even take a whole ton of instruments, just let the computer do the heavy lifting. :)

Codicier said...

great little write up, really enjoyed the "unplugged" kirk version of the maya theme.