Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Question Of The Week: This Is A Tribute

 By GM Staff

No wordy preamble this week - the question is pretty self-explanatory. Everyone's got a tune they rock harder than all the others; our answers after the break.

Dan: I owe Rock Band a huge debt for re-introducing me to the band Boston. The inclusion of the band’s half-prog classic “Foreplay/Long Time” was the highlight of the series’ first installment, and the Boston DLC—one of the earliest track packs released by Harmonix’s Rock Band store—is simply a must-own. You can pretend not to love these songs, but you’re only fooling yourself. It’s just too bad that plastic guitar-controller technology has yet to figure out how to convey the feeling of nailing harmonized guitar leads (“guitarmonies,” anyone?) because it would really take these tunes the extra mile. They’re worth checking out just to marvel at the preternatural vocal theatrics of late Boston frontman Brad Delp (see especially “More Than a Feeling” and “Peace of Mind”).  Just one word of advice: if you happen to be rocking the mic and you’re a dude, don’t even try to hit those high notes without gender reassignment surgery. 

David: If by "rock the hardest" you mean "play well on medium" then I am going to have a tough time choosing. I'd have to go with "Debaser" by the Pixies. I love the guitar in that song and I was very excited when the entire Doolittle album became available. I need to play this with a whole band as I can't wait to see someone do Frank Black.

Kirk: I'm this close to seconding Dan on Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time," if only because of that one time that he and I performed it at a party and it was the most amazing thing ever.  But really, that performance was amazing more because of Dan's killer vocals than my drumming. If I'm being honest, I still can't really get the whole "foreplay" part right.  (That's what she sai... nevermind).  In truth, the tune I rock the hardest on is Stone Temple Pilots' "Vaseline" from Rock Band 1. It was the first drum part to really kick my ass, and as such also marked the first time I unplugged the kit and practiced with a metronome. It was so satisfying to work out the physical motions required to match Eric Kretz's part that not long afterward, I picked up the actual drums. So now, not only is "Vaseline" the song I rock hardest on in Rock Band, it's also a song I can rock in real life.

Annie: Well, normally, I'd say either "Painkiller" by Judas Priest or "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys (That one in particular never gets old!). However, these are my standards from before I was brave enough to sing in front of people. I'm a guitar/bass sort of girl, normally, but a few weeks ago I did a vocal set with our regular Rock Band crew (that's right, every week). With the help of Mr. Killian and Mr. Guinness, I wailed on "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette. I think I regressed back to high school for a few minutes, there!

9 comments:

Daniel Bullard-Bates said...

I'm your Frank Black. My absolute top pick is "Monkey Gone to Heaven". So much fun to sing.

And if the devil is six...

Jay said...

Dan - "More Than a Feeling" is quite possibly one of the most satisfying songs to play on all of RB, and this is coming from a drummer who cares not about guitarmonies (well, playing them in RB anyway).

David - The Pixies are my ALL TIME FAVORITE BAND EVAR so I have to compliment your taste. Even if some of the songs aren't the most interesting to play on drums, I love them all. My fav to play is "La La Love You", which also played at my wedding as the new wife and I walked back down the aisle after being pronounced. Also a big fan of "I Bleed" for drums.

Everyone had great picks for sure, but the song I rock the hardest? "Flirting with Disaster" by Molly Hatchet from RB1. It's the only "nightmare" song I can gold-star on expert drums (most I can't even 5-star). I don't know what it is about that song but I barely think about it and my arms just seem to know where to go and do all the work. It's like I just turn on auto-pilot, like I'm possessed or something, and just watch my hands whip the sticks around like a fucking ninja. Also, it doesn't have very tough bass drum parts, which ALWAYS fuck me up.

Kirk Hamilton said...

Oh, I'd forgotten all about "Flirting With Disaster"! That was such a bitchin' tune. I always associate that one with "Green Grass and High Tides", maybe because they were both tunes that I'd never heard of that whipped our asses the first time they came up. Dan, if I recall, eventually learned to kill that Green Grass guitar part on hard.

Tiffany said...

See Dan for my answer. Though I rank "More Than a Feeling" slightly higher than "Foreplay/Long Time."

David said...

I am liking the contrast of Pixies and Boston in these comments and both bands are from the same place.

@Jay, "I Bleed" is a great song. Did you see the Doolittle tour last year. I missed it. I regret it.

@Daniel, very good, you shall be Frank Black.

Tim Mackie said...

In terms of actually being successful, "Bulls On Parade," but that's because it's very, very easy. But in terms of enjoyment, I'd have to go with either "Paranoid" or "Sabotage." Or anything if I'm co-oping bass with someone who's better than me on guitar.

The Sonia Show said...

I rock the hardest on Weezer's "Say It Ain't So" on the easy level. Yeah, I rule.

Jay said...

David - I didn't get a chance to see the Doolittle Tour (they played Oakland the weekend I got married so it didn't work out), but I did see them in Chicago for their first reunion tour. I remember they played both versions of "Wave of Mutilation". It was a brain-asploding level of awesomeness I've not witnessed at a live show before or since.

Dan the Man said...

I'd like to use this opportunity to formally announce my support for the completely not-planned "Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)" DLC.