Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Brainy Gamer Podcast

Anyone who reads this site undoubtedly knows about Michael Abbott's fabulous blog The Brainy Gamer. I can't say enough good things about him, his writing, and the community that has formed around his site. (must... never... say... "Brainysphere" aloud... again...) If for some crazy reason you read Gamer Melodico but don't read Michael, well... go and rectify that situation asap!

A few weeks back, Michael asked me to contribute to his most recent series of podcasts, the focus of which would be a discussion of gaming conventions, or "Gatherings of the Tribe." Last week I hopped on Skype with Michael and Rob LeFebvre, a super-cool dude who runs Games are Evil and writes for 148 Apps. We talked about GDC, PAX, the highs and lows of gamer culture, the nature of anonymous communication on the internet, notions of language and privilege, and each of our favorite games of the moment.

In a bit of groovy serendipity, the day after we recorded the podcast Rob few into San Francisco to attend a SEGA event. He and I met up and grabbed a beer at Thee Parkside on Potrero Hill, which pretty much had to be the fastest podcast-to-real-life meetup of all time. I was so glad to have a chance to chat with him in person - he's a great guy and has a lot of cool thoughts on games. I really recommend checking out his site!

Michael's posted links to the podcast on TBG, but I'll post them here as well:
  • It's available on iTunes
  • Or via direct stream
  • You can also subscribe to Michael's podcast feed, which I highly suggest doing
  • Be sure to check out part one of the series, featuring Kill Screen editor Chris Dahlen and freelance badass extraordinaire Gus Mastrapa
I hope you enjoy it! I had a freakin' blast, and it was an absolute honor to contribute to my very favorite gaming podcast. Thanks, Michael!
blog comments powered by Disqus