Monday, January 3, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch Changes

In what will no doubt mark the 1,350th time a blog has referenced Bowie in the title of a change-related post, I wanted to take a second to let you guys know about some exciting developments 'round these parts. First of all: I have accepted the position of Games Editor at Paste Magazine!

I'm pretty well over the moon about it—Paste is the outlet for which I wrote my first game review, and it has long been a bastion of quality games writing. So many of my favorite games writers have done work for them over the years—Gus Mastrapa, Chris Dahlen, Mitch Krpata, Ryan Kuo, Leigh Alexander, John Teti, the list goes on. What's more, my predecessor Jason Killingsworth is just about the coolest dude ever (he's gone on to be features editor at EDGE, I mean dang), and I've learned so much from his example over the course of the past year. And of course, the games editor before him was Mr. Kill Screen himself, Chris Dahlen, so... yeah. The shoes, they are large.

The question I wish to address here is: What does this mean for Gamer Melodico? Well first of all, since I'm going to be devoting all of my time to assigning, writing and organizing games coverage at Paste, I'm going to be stepping down as editor of Melodico. Taking over operations here will be Mr. Dan Apczynski. Dan is a rockin' good writer (which y'all already know), but in addition to that he's a fantastic editor—his day job is as editor at Acoustic Guitar magazine, and he brings print-level standards to everything he does. He's edited my submissions to that magazine on numerous times, so I'm as sure as can be that I'm leaving Melodico in good hands, and am really looking forward to seeing what he does here.

So while I'll still be around from time to time and will doubtless remain active in the comments and contribute to some group posts, but for all intents and purposes, Dan will be piloting the good ship Melodico from here on out. If you'd like to read my more casual bloggy stuff, I've redesigned and repurposed my own blog at Kirkhamilton.com to be more of a hub for me. I'll be doing a lot more game-related blogging over there, as well as probably posting screengrabs from old Buffy episodes and talking about how much I love my coffee maker.

So, onward to my second exciting announcement, regarding our ship's crew. I'm so excited to welcome Gamer Melodico's newest contributor, Jay Pullman! Jay may only now be coming on as a staff member, but he's been an integral part of Melodico from the beginning. With his thoughtful and surprisingly in-depth comments, he's certainly made me reexamine my own conclusions, and he's nice, thoughtful and kinda weird in a way that just fits so perfectly with the rest of us. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with this year, and hope that you'll join me in welcoming him aboard.

So. Lots of exciting stuff going on at the moment. I'm going to be working my ass off over at Paste, doing my damnedest to leverage my increased access into some kick-ass coverage. In particular, I hope to make Paste a place that is welcoming to game-designers, somewhere where we look at the work that they do and make it accessible to laypeople. I want to inform readers about the process of making a game, but I also want to talk about the people who make them.

So, I hope you'll stop by and give us your eyeballs and attention! Not like actually give us your eyeballs, just... you know what I mean. Paste had a bit of a tumultuous fall, and there will be some announcements shortly about the site's new direction, etc. But suffice to say, cool stuff is afoot, and we'll need everyone's help with getting the word out. In the meantime, I'll be getting up to full velocity over there, so I hope you'll take the time to follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our Games RSS feed, etc.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that 2011's gonna be pretty fun. Happy New Year!

Over to you, Dan.
blog comments powered by Disqus